D.I.Y. Toothpaste Recipe (bicarb, seasalt, vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Room-Temperature (filtered) water
- Optional: 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Optional: 1 capful 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (except if you have metal fillings, as they react)
- Optional: 1 capful food-grade White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- Optional: 1-2 drops of Essential Oil (i.e. Peppermint, Spearmint, Clove)
- Stir until dissolved.
- Brush teeth with a soft toothbrush with the liquid.
- Floss your teeth with Floss, String, or Fishing Line.
- Then, use the rest of the water mixture to swish/strain through gaps of teeth, gargle, then spit out.
- * I've also made a batch of this, adding coconut oil - see images below, and this is what I'm currently using.
Throughout the rest of the day, I just brush with water, although sometimes use a bit of toothpaste (as in a tiny 2ml drop) or now I found that I’m more regularly using the coconut oil toothpaste as I like the taste and it’s more convenient than making this toothpaste as it’s “ready-made”.
But right now I’m using a mix of the above and also added coconut oil, and this is the result.. I love it:
(Note: The most important thing for protecting teeth is ‘disturbing’ the bacteria on the teeth so that they cannot form plaque, if you keep that in mind, you will make better decisions regarding your tooth health)
Why these ingredients:
Food-Grade (3%) Hydrogen Peroxide:
Food-Grade White Vinegar or Apple-Cider Vinegar:
Vinegar helps to kill bacteria and prevent the build-up of calculus, also known as tartar. Brushing with vinegar reduces the risk of gingivitis, which is a major cause of tooth decay. (Do not swallow the vinegar)
Peppermint Essential Oil:
Clove Essential Oil:
Tea Tree Essential Oil: