August Meals [Food Diary]
Nothing special to see in this post… (no photo here would win any awards!)… just my photo accountability of simple, boring, easy meals in August. Mostly chicken tenders + throw-together salads.
(Except when other people cooked – which was more common this month due to Michael staying with us for half July / half August and cooking for ten when there are only 3 adults in the house) :).
I’ve already posted up the Green Smoothies for August. This is just an “addon” post for the homemade meals. I also ate takeaway on different work days – Indian Dahl, Indian Curry and McDonalds chicken wraps & egg & bacon (on 2 mornings I think).
Aside the meals I didn’t make, my August meals were pretty much a ‘mix-n-match’ of the following:
- Chicken Tenders or Chicken Kiev’s from the Butcher
- Mixed Lettuce, Baby Kale, Baby Rocket
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Chat Potatoes & Butternut Pumpkin
- Cauliflower & Broccoli & Silverbeet
- Carrot/Broccoli/Beetroot (I buy them in bags pre-shredded, like a “stirfry kit” and just add a raw handful to meals)
- Parmesan Cheese, Wasabi Mayonnaise, Butter, Olive Oil
- Cracked Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Turmeric, Nori Flakes, Nutritional Yeast
- Almonds, Walnuts, Cashew Nuts, Goji Berries, Pumpkin Seeds
It’s very rare that a meal takes any longer than 5 minutes to put together (the tenders are very thin.. couple of mins each side (pan-fried) and it’s ready), while that’s cooking I just grab a handful of salad, pinch of this/pinch of that from the nuts & seeds… drizzle of olive oil, and it’s done.
Things that take longer – chat potatoes take about 10-15 minutes to steam. Chicken Kievs take about 20 minutes to bake.