11 reasons an annual COVID booster is NOT LIKE an annual flu shot
Vinay Prasad MD MPH is a hematologist-oncologist and Professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the University of California San Francisco. He runs the VKPrasad lab at UCSF, which studies cancer drugs, health policy, and clinical trials.
YouTube | Rumble (Mirror) | Twitter Thread | Download on Telegram
14 Sept 2022 | Vinay Prasad, MD MPH; Physician & Professor
An annual COVID19 mRNA not is *NOT AT ALL LIKE* an annual flu shot
1. It is far more reactogenic
More people take a day off work/ way more Adverse Events than flu
2. Flu vax tries to predict FUTURE North America strains, BA4/5 are PAST strains…
No one tries to vaccinate people who have already had the *exact same strain* of flu with the flu shot, and yet now the CDC pushes BA4/5 in people who have just had BA5
3. COVID19 is currently LESS LETHAL than flu, particularly for the young.
4. Maybe, just maybe, we could do…
A better job with flu. Each year, we rely of flawed test neg. case control studies to estimate flu vaccine efficacy, which often yield awful, pitifully low estimates despite the upwardly biased methodology.
Perhaps, just as phones advance, evidence can advance…
We could do a whole lot better if we had more, larger randomized trials of flu shots. These can run in the southern hemisphere and inform the northern one. We do not need to be wedded to a suboptimal paradigm.
5. It is a novel platform (mRNA). There are still unknown unknowns.
6. The FDA commissioner didn’t routinely lie about the evidence for the flu shot
There is no evidence that a bivalent booster means you will be able to attend more gatherings. Just his imagination talking.
Being vaccinated and boosted reduces your risk of dying or getting critically ill and going to the hospital. The updated booster also increases your chances of being in attendance at upcoming gatherings with family and friends.— Dr. Robert M. Califf (@DrCaliff_FDA) September 9, 2022
7. FDA officials did not resign over the flu shot. (01)
8. The people making decisions regarding the flu shot did not exhibit a pattern of gross incompetence. (02)
9. The White House never said that it is really important to get the flu shot before the midterm election—I mean, Halloween—did I say election?
In interview with @inthebubblepod @AshishKJha46 said re: getting the updated boosters— Alexander Tin (@Alexander_Tin) September 12, 2022
“in general, I think it’s really important for people to get it by Halloween”https://t.co/lgwfl6Gfwz https://t.co/pmCq8R5trO pic.twitter.com/rW7LzxwqQH
10. FDA didn’t usually work for the marketing arm of Pfizer, and Pfizer didn’t usually make 50 billion off the back of perpetual boosters.
FDA turned into drug promoter instead of regulator. They are acting like used car or timeshare salesman. I thought this was more attributable to doctors promoting some untested cactus juice or magic bracelet on TV trying to sell it with white coat and “MD” after their name.— Y N (@YN00823606) September 12, 2022
11. Paul Offit didn’t usually say he wasn’t going to get the flu shot.
In short, comparing a novel mRNA booster tested in 8 mice for a strain of COVID tens or hundreds of millions have already had for a virus with a sweeping age gradient & IFR less than flu to flu, in a politicized climate where the FDA is run by incompetent political hacks, is flawed. (03) (04) (05) (06)
- Substack (https://vinayprasadmdmph.substack.com/)
- Podcast (http://www.plenarysessionpodcast.com/)
- Personal Website (http://www.vinayakkprasad.com/)
- Laboratory Website (http://www.vkprasadlab.com/)
- Academic Publications (http://www.vinayakkprasad.com/papers)
- Google Scholar (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ym4rwk0AAAAJ&hl=en)
By the way, the Pfizer boostered mice didn’t make it. And all the Moderna boosted mice Got Covid. ~ Penny….
(Please, for the love of God, keep trying to get through to the people you love, please don’t stop trying to wake up your friends and family who are under the spell.) (07) (08) (09) (10) (11)
Please also read the following article just published:
Telegram Channels: Get Post Updates | Post Comments | Videos
Get post updates from either Gettr or my Telegram channel: @JourneyToABetterLife. To comment on a post, the easiest way is to post in Telegram. (Note: I stopped logging into Facebook in January 2023 and haven't looked back!). Best way to reach me (although I don't login everyday) is putting a message in Telegram, Gettr, or SMS.