D.I.Y. Toothpaste (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil has the benefit of preventing tooth decay as it’s a natural anti-bacterial and can kill the bacteria that causes plaque. It has many other benefits to your health. It’s also a fave choice among those that do oil-pulling regularly and many have reported that their teeth are much whiter and skin problems cleared up after using coconut oil with oil-pulling.
- Coconut Oil
- Optional: 1-2 drops Essential Oil(s) (for toothpaste flavour)
- Optional: bicarb soda (to make it more abrasive)
- Brush teeth and mouth as normal. Brush tongue.
- Rinse mouth with water.
- Don't spit coconut oil into the sink - it hardens when cold so can over time cause sink clogging, so spit into a bag/bin or outside.
- You can mix a batch of coconut oil with a bit of bicarb soda to make it more abrasive if you want, but the most important thing for your daily teeth-brushing needs is to "disturb" the bacteria so that they cannot form plaque.
Essential Oil ideas for mouth:
- or Ginger (whatever your preference).
Note: not all essential oils are created equal. I use Doterra essential oils which are safe to consume. If you want to see which toothpaste I’m currently using, click here.