The Science of Getting Rich is a book written by Wallace D. Wattles. The book is still in print after 100 years.
It’s a book that explains how to overcome mental barriers, and how creation, not competition, is the hidden key to wealth attraction.
The Science of Getting Rich was credited by Rhonda Byrne as one of the inspirations for her popular 2006 film and 2007 book The Secret. As Byrne explained it on the web site of Oprah Winfrey,
“Something inside of me had me turn the pages one by one, and I can still remember my tears hitting the pages as I was reading it. […] It gave me a glimpse of The Secret. It was like a flame inside of my heart. And with every day since, it’s just become a raging fire of wanting to share all of this with the world.”
Here are my notes on the Philosopher’s Notes ‘discussion’ about the book The Science of Getting Rich.
- Figure out what you love to do, and do that.
- Gratitude – if you do not have gratitude, it’s impossible to be rich.
- There is a science of getting rich and it is an exact science like algebra or arithmetic. There are certain laws which govern the process of acquiring riches. And once these laws are learned and obeyed by anyone, that person will get rich with mathematical certainty.
- You can render to God and humanity no greater service than to make the most of yourself.
- What one can be, one must be.
- Whatever may be said in praise of poverty, the fact remain that it is not possible to live a really complete or successful life unless one is rich. No man can rise to his greatest possible height in talent or soul development unless he has plenty of money. For to unfold the soul or to develop talent, he must have many things to use. And you can not have these things unless he has money to buy them with.
- You should make the most of yourself, for yourself and for others. You can help others more, by making the most of yourself than any other way. You can make the most of yourself only by getting rich, so it is right and praiseworthy that you should give your first and best thoughts to the work of acquiring wealth.
- What do I love to do? How can I get paid doing what I love to do?
- You cannot impress the mind of God by having a special Sabbath day set apart to tell him what you want and then forgetting him the rest of the week. If you want to impress the mind of God, it’s got to be in the way you’re being.
- In order to get rich, you do not need a ‘sweet hour of prayer’. You need to ‘prayer without ceasing’. And by prayer I mean holding steadily to your vision with the purpose to cause its creation into solid form and the faith that you are doing so.
- Every living thing must continually seek for the enlargement of its life, because life and the mere act of living must increase itself.
- Get Rich – that is the Best way you can help the poor.
- more to come…
Wattles, Wallace. “The Science of Getting Rich”, 1910