Notes from the book ‘Change Your Life in 7 Days’ by Paul McKenna on Happiness
Happily Ever AfterHappiness is not a result – it’s a state of mind and body.
Instant Endorphin Release
- Remember a time when you felt totally happy and at peace. Return fully to that time now, see what you saw, hear what you heard, feel how good you felt (or imagine it)
- Make the colours brighter and richer, the sounds louder, and allow your feelings of happiness to intensify.
- Notice where that feeling of happiness is strongest in your body. Give this feeling of happiness a colour and move that colour up to the top of your head and down to the tip of your toes. Double the brightness. Double it again.
- You can visualize the endorphins like little dolphins at play in your bloodstream, happily swimming from cell to cell. Or feel the flow of endorphins like a river of golden honey throughout your body.
- Repeat steps 2-4 at least five more times. Vividly imagine in detail that event where you are happy, again and again. You can use the same happy experience or add in new ones each time.
The eight happiness triggers
(according to Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi – Uni of Chicago)
- Clear goals
- Immediate feedback
- Ability to concentrate on the task at hand
- The possibility of successful completion
- Total involvement
- Loss of self-consciousness
- A sense of control
- Time distortion (i.e. minutes becoming hours and/or hours feeling like minutes)
We tend to experience flow when there is a balance between our perception of the challenge we are facing and our perception of our ability to meet that challenge.
- Lower your sights, set yourself a smaller target
- Focus on past success
Stepping into the zone to access flow
- Get comfy, relax & close your eyes
- Remember times when you have been in states of now, seeing what you saw, hearing what you heard, feeling how good you felt.
- Amplify it (pictures bigger, brighter, bolder, sounds louder, feelings stronger), then anchor it – squeeze your thumb & middle finger together
- Now do it again, see, hear, feel
- Now find another time you experience flow – redo procedure and anchor it.
How to create a happier, more satisfying life?
- Allow more pleasure into your life
- Discover your strengths and begin to put them to work
- Do at least one difficult thing each day
Daily Success Workout
- Take 3 deep breaths. Breathe in “feel any areas of tension/stress in your body. Breathe out “feel yourself letting go and relaxing into a peaceful state.
- Imagine the qualities of your authentic self. See yourself going through your day as your authentic self. Do this several times until it becomes easy.
- Review your top 5 values. Take a moment to really feel each one, guide your mind through the day ahead. Each time you do this – you are programming yourself to have a wonderful day!
- Use the inner smile to activate your endorphin response. Smile into every area of yourself and keep feeling better & better.
- Review your big dream. Ask your mind to guide you in thought, word and action to do and say exactly the right things to make your dreams come true for the highest good of all concerned.
- What are you most grateful for in your life? Spend at least 1 minute focused on all the good things you already have and everything that’s right in your world.
- Finish by taking 3 more deep breaths. This time, allow each breath in to fill you with energy, and each breath out to energize you even more.
More notes from this great book:
- Change Your Life in 7 Days
- Change Your Life in 7 Days – Neural Reconditioning
- Change Your Life in 7 Days – Health
- Change Your Life in 7 Days – Wealth
- Change Your Life in 7 Days – Happiness
‘Change Your Life in 7 Days’, McKenna, Paul, Bantam Press, 2004
Latest posts by Penny Butler (see all)
- Embracing “Change”, having Faith in a divine plan, Out with the old - Jun 9, 2016
- Conspiracy babble – Collective Consciousness, ET’s, Parallel Realities, Multi-Dimensional Beings - Feb 10, 2016
- Life’s Mysteries – Yay or Nay? Your Thoughts about…? [Video] - Jan 28, 2016
- Re-Integrating “Permission-Slip” Philosophy [Hangout] - Jan 12, 2016
- Full Breakdown of Mental Trauma over past few months – YouTube Therapy - Jan 5, 2016